Collecting diversity, equity and inclusion data
Before you start setting your DEI strategy and launching initiatives, you need a clear view of the challenges you’re trying to solve, your strategic objectives and how you’ll measure success.
Does DEI data already exist within your organisation?
To gain more clarity on the current DEI baseline within your organisation, you can start by reviewing the data that is already available (this should be accessible via your HR or Office Manager) this could include previous engagement surveys, 360 leadership feedback, pulse surveys and cumulative employee demographic data.
What are you looking for in the data?
- What is your engagement survey telling you – does anything stand out in terms of lack of diversity or inclusion within your organisation?
- What are your people telling you about the company culture and how included they feel at work?
- Do people from different groups feel included?
- Are leaders being inclusive and creating a sense of belonging?
- How diverse is your organisation?
- How engaged are your people?
- How engaged are people from different groups?
- How diverse is the talent pipeline coming into your organisation?
- What is your company pay gap and pay equity gap?
Starting from scratch?
Check out our guide to collecting data and the survey questions we ask each year to help you prepare to start collecting data.
- Sharing why you’re collecting the data is important. People want to know what you are going to do with their information and how it will be used. See an example below.
“We’re collecting this data to help us understand the demographic make-up of our workforce so we can ensure we create the right programmes and initiatives to enable our people to bring their whole selves to work”
- Giving people the option to ‘prefer not to say’ is essential
- Ensuring the answers to the survey questions or employee records are self-determined by the individual
- Ensuring the information remains confidential and isn’t shared on an individual basis
- You follow-through with what you said you’ll do with the data
Have you seen the 2023 Diversity Agenda impact report?
Check out the 2023 Diversity Agenda insights report to see what we measure as an industry. Is what you’re measuring aligned to the industry data?
If you have been measuring through The Diversity Agenda Accord each year, here are some questions to consider:
- What are you seeing improve within your organisation?
- What are you struggling to shift?
- What needs to be captured in your DEI strategy to ensure you shift it?
- What actions will you take to shift it?